load for a .40 caliber

• 2K Views
  • Last Post 10 May 2017
Dirtybore posted this 09 May 2017

I have a 40 caliber muzzleloader that is hitting about 6" low at 100 yds when using 60 gr of GOEX 3Fg black powder.  It hits dead on at 50 yds when using 35 or 40 gr of the same powder.

I can't raise the powder charge in hope of raising the 100 yd point of impact.  I tried it and it doesn't work.  Do any of you have any experience with this caliber.  I'm using .395" round balls and 0.015" patches.  Yes. i can file the front sight shorter to raise the point of impact but I'd rather get some other opinions before I do that.

Thanks in advance,

Dirtybore

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dirtybore posted this 10 May 2017

Ken Campbell; Adding material to a rear sight seldom turns out looking nice and then they fail at the worst of times.  The solder gives way and the sight is shot for the next crucial shot.   Adjustable sights are great in some applications but I've been to rendezvous where wax was dropped on adjustable sights to assure the sights were never changed during the competition.  I don't really want to put an adjustable sight on the very traditional firearm.   

Attached Files

Ross Smith;

This is probably what I'm going to end up doing but just wanted to get some opinions from others who may have shot 40 cals.  Ken Campbell suggested shooting 5 shots at 100 yds.  I can't find the target right now but I didn't throw it out and If I recall correctly, I shot 3 shot using 50 gr and 3 shots using 60 gr.  Just as you might suspect, the 50 gr charge hit about 2 inches lower than the 60 gr charge.

Granted, Kentucky windage can be used at 25 and 50 yds after it's sighted in for 100 yds but.  The rifle will be used exclusively at rendezvous by it's owner, my daughter-in-law.  Shooters have plenty of time to observe their target and load accordingly.  Granted, in the field, aiming high will suffice but at rendezvous, hit are points and points are score so varying the powder charge works quite well.   

If and when I'm using one of my 54 calibers, if I'm hunting, their loaded with 90 gr of GOEX, a .530 round ball, and a 0.015" patch.  If I'm at a shoot, then that load is reserved for 100 yd shooting and all closer targets get 50 gr of Powder instead.  It works great by the way.   Over the years, I've discovered my poor old bones don't like a 20 shot trail walk using that 90 gr charge.  I stopped using 54's at rondy's and took up 45 flinters.  I'm not half as worn out at the end of the trail as I was shooting the 10 pound 54's.  

Attached Files

Rhbrink;  

The rifle has a Douglass barrel but I don't recall what the twist is.  Dave Dolliver of Shelton, WA built it for his wife and used the .395" ball in it.  I don't believe it was used much as his wife passed away rather early.  I was using saliva for lube as that's what I feed all of my muzzleloaders except Princess, one of my very persnickety flintlocks.

Attached Files

I could raise the rear sight but it would be so much simpler to file the front one and make it lower.  The rear sight has a wide dove tail that's hard to find or replace.  i looked at replacing it with a taller one but couldn't fine one with the same size dove tail.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 09 May 2017

Dirty: I have 3 40 cal. m/l's. They all shoot well but different size balls and patches. How much has this rifle been shot? If your accuracy(group size) is good then you will have to change your sights to be ON at a given range and kentucky windage for everything else. All my rifles are high at 50 and on at 100. If your sights are fixed you have to go this way.  Ross

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 May 2017

... maybe a minor point ... but be sure to fire at least 5 shots at 100 yd. to get a good idea of where your average impact location is created .

ken

Attached Files

rhbrink posted this 09 May 2017

Kind of comparing apples to oranges when changing the powder charge for different ranges. Have you tried the 60 grain charge at 50 yards just to see when it's hitting? The patching seems a little bit thin to me, what kind of barrel, twist, wet slick patch, dry patch? More information would be helpful. 

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 09 May 2017

gotta ask  ::  any way to raise the rear sight about 0.044 inches ?

...or add ( solder ? epoxy ? ) a higher blade to rear sight ...

install a different ... adjustable ?  .. rear sight ... ?  probably get a modern takeoff barrel sight here for postage .

ken

Attached Files

Close