Loving Reloder 7 for the 44-40

• Last Post 20 February 2019
Bryan Austin posted this 02 February 2019

Today somewhat sums up my quest to solve a few mysteries regarding the 44-40's accuracy at and beyond 100 yards with smokeless powders. I have just about kicked this dead horse as much as I am gonna kick it.

Accuracy, at higher velocities than factory loads, can be achieved using Reloder 7 and remaining near SAAMI max pressures. It may take you some time to find that sweet load and bullet combo for your firearm but I certainly do believe you can find it.

I have been getting consistent 4" groups @ 100 yards using various bullets and loads. The latest has been with Accurate's 43-208A, Winchester's JSP and Speers 240gr DCHP.

First, Winchester's 200gr JSP's are getting scarce and hard to find without spending a fortune and my surplus is gone. My scope on the MGM 20" testing barrel platform is set for 240gr bullets. Shooting the JSP's, impact is 6 1/2" below POA. However, ten shot groups come in at 2 1/4". My pressure data shows an avg of 10,601 psi falling just below SAAMI max pressures (11,000psi). Your mileage may very. One reason these pressure are low is due to the bullets .425" diameter.

Second, Accurate's 43-208A, my hand cast loads, pleased me @ 3 1/4" groups at 100 yards replicating original black powder velocities border-lining SAAMI max pressures coming in at 11,304psi.  These pressures too may be due to the bullets heeled .427" diameter with the exception of the .429" driving band flange. I feel Ed's 43-200Q would give similar results.

Third, Speer's 240gr DCHP. These pressures are a bit higher than SAAMI's max by about 4,000psi. Plenty safe for the Marlin 1894CB but I won't be using them in my weaker action firearms although I have tested 14,000psi black powder loads. Accuracy is extremely promising coming in at  2 1/8" group.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ross Smith
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bryan Austin posted this 02 February 2019

One thing I meant to add is that the 20" MGM barrel has a tight chamber. When I shoot the same loads in my 24" Marlin, I typically get up to 60fps lower results. This somewhat also leads me to believe that the pressures will also be a tad lower than what is achieved in the 20" MGM.

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 02 February 2019

I'm an R7 fan also.

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 16 February 2019

This morning I was able to revisit a load I tested.

If my numbers are correct....

Today I tested, for the second time, a case-load of Reloder 7 that resulted in a great, safe. load for both my revolvers and rifles. 

26.5gr Reloder 7 (case capacity, no compression)
Accurate Mold 43-208A (bullet sits firmly on top of powder)

CCI 300 Primers
Starline Brass (reloaded countless times with high pressure loads)

10 shot tests

MGM Testing Barrel (scoped)

4" group @ 100 yards

1,382fps @ 11,304psi

Uberti Winchester 73' (no scope)

4" group @ 25 yards

Consistently hit the gong @ 265 yards

1,388fps

Uberti "Cattleman" 5 1/2" barrel

um, well...need to revisit :-)
Several gong hits @ 265 yards

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
joeb33050 posted this 19 February 2019

I'd like a lotta pictures and words about that rail gun item.

Attached Files

Bryan Austin posted this 19 February 2019

LOL,

The barrel is from MGM https://matchgrademachine.com/ . It is a simple 20"x 1 1/4" Chrome Moly Blued Finish chambered for the 44-40 with a .429 bore.

The platform is a Hyskore Black Gun rest. 
http://hyskore.com/products/30185-black-gun-machine-rest/

I made a base plate that I bolted to the rest and used motocross bike hi-rise handle bar risers to clamp down tha barrel, The welded up a blast plate and inserted a home made firing pin made out of spare hardware laying around the shop.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

Attached Files

An Afterthought.......

An after-thought

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

Attached Files

Attached Files

Attached Files

This is where I got the idea from

Attached Files

Watch on my youtube, there are eight videos. Copy and past the below address into a new browser window and look for the Pressure Testing playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYun1sOP_i62Xg05tbtGVsA

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 20 February 2019

Thanks for the response. I'm working hard on the next questions, attempting to avoid looking stupid.

joe b.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Ed Harris
Close