low wall 32 rimfire to 32-20 conversion

• Last Post 12 March 2018
loophole posted this 11 March 2018

This project has become a source of unexpected problems.

I rented a floating collar reamer to ream this low wall 32 rimfire chamber to 32-20.  I cut the new chamber very slowly and carefully, using plenty of Tap Magic and stopping often to clean out the chips.  I cut all the  way to the rim recess--at this point the chamber was very clean smooth.  The reamer quit cutting at that point.  It will not cut the rim recess.  On very close examination it looks as if the flutes are ground with no cutting angle on the part that ought to cut the rim recess.  I know that some 32-20 rifles, such as my Mod 1853 Browning,  do not have a rim recess in the barrel, but of course the low wall must accept the rim in the barrel.

Are there different reamers for these different rifles?  I do not see this in any of the web ads for reamers.  Is there something else I am doing wrong?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Steve K

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 12 March 2018

Did you get a "rifle" reamer or a "pistol" reamer? Pistols don't cut recessed rims. I have a rifle you can borrow if needed. Ric

Attached Files

loophole posted this 12 March 2018

Rifle  reamer.  I'm going to talk with the fellow who rented me the reamer.  If he can't help, I will more than gladly take you up on your offer.  Thanks.

Steve K

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 12 March 2018

If you are using a lathe you could cut a rim clearance with a boring bar ... Then sink the chamber as usual .  if no lathe can you borrow a 3/8 piloted countersink with a simple fitted guide button ?   plastic button would work for this light cut .

great project, let me know if i can help; my shop is up to 38 F now (g).

ken

Attached Files

loophole posted this 12 March 2018

Thanks for your input, Ken.  I don't have a lathe.  The folks at Reamer Rentals did not know that their reamer does not cut the rim recess.  Can't get anyone from 4D on the phone, but their website says that if the cartridge has a rim, the reamer will cut all parts of the case design. I will order a rental and to be sure I'll let them know I have to have a reamer which cuts the rim recess.  Thanks very much for your offer, Ric, but I won't trouble you if I can rent what I need.

My shop is in the low 40's--I hope it warms up before the reamer gets here.

Steve K

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Close