Marlin 1894CL 25 20WCF cast loads

• 1.3K Views
  • Last Post 07 June 2017
GWarden posted this 01 March 2017

Just purchased a Marlin 1894CL in 25 20WCF. What are some good loads you have had? Looking for what bullet to use for cast. Will be loading one at a time, so pointed bullet will not be a issue for using in magazine. What kind of accuracy are you getting, not your best group, but the average group size? Thanks for your assistance.

Bob, Iowa

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
SierraHunter posted this 01 March 2017

Can i ask why you are only loading one at a time?

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 01 March 2017

For working up accuracy load, will load one at a time. If I fill the tubular magazine, the harmonics change as one loads from the magazine. I just want to keep every thing consistent from shot to shot in working up loads for best accuracy. If a spitzer bullet gives me the best accuracy with cast, then that is what I will want to use. Plan on using this rifle for the bunny match, and will see how it does also possibly for a few of the others CBA postal matches.

Bob

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 March 2017

hi gw ... eat my heart out on your m94 in 25-20 ... that cartridge is on my bucket list .. and the m94 is just one of the things that are right in the universe ...

i have an original ( the old good one ) nei mold in 60 and 75 grain ... just right for your 25-20 ... if interested i can send it up and you can play with it ...

since i traded off my only 25 cal, at least it might be doing some good ...  email me or pm if

ken    i don't have any 25 gas checks left tho .

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 02 March 2017

GW: 25cal gas checks are available at a reasonable price on the NOE bullet mould site. I just bought 2K a short time back. Gp

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 March 2017

My best lever gun load was the Lyman 257283 with 8.0 grains of 2400. My best bolt gun cast bullet load was the RCBS 25 CM plain base with 3.0 grains of Bullseye. I never found a good load for the 60 grain bullets, but many others have. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Dale53 posted this 02 March 2017

GWarden;

I bought one of these when they first hit the market. I also bought a bulk pack of jacketed bullets, but never used them to this day. At any rate, I bought a Lyman 257420 flat point gas check bullet mold. At first, my rifle did not want to shoot. I am nothing, if not stubborn (er-r-r, PERSISTENT) and I kept changing loads and shooting. At about the 500 round point, the rifle suddenly started shooting well. I ended up with three loads for my needs.

1- My squirrel load was 4.0 grs. of Unique. I did not chronograph this but it flat worked like a CHARM. Whether it was a head shot or a body shot, the squirrel (whether the smaller greys, or the larger fox squirrels found in this area) they came out of the trees DRN.

2- My general purpose load was 11.0 grs. of RL-7.

3- My “High Speed” load (similar to the old factory high speed load) and chronographed just under 2200 fps. was 14.0 grs. of RL-7. This is a compressed load and must NOT be shot in older rifles. These are not pressure tested, but I did take five cases, and shot them twenty times each. I was still using those cases when I lost the vision in my right eye and quit shooting long guns.

The only thing I did to the Marlin was I did stone the sear for a good trigger.

I mounted a straight tube low powered scope on the rifle. Using this, the rifle would consistently shoot possibles on the small bore target at fifty and one hundred yards. The “x” count was not impressive but it WOULD stay in the ten ring. For a hunting rifle I considered this impressive.

My bullets were cast of straight linotype and sized at .258". I used Hornady crimp on gas checks.

For several years, we ran lever action matches at our club. These were a mix of speed and slow fire, using bullseye and animal targets. Kind of small game IPSC matches. Any caliber lever action rifle using jacketed or cast bullets. My rifle dominated those matches (and I LOVED it). 

It went on down the pike, sadly, when I got rid of my long guns. Hopefully, it found a good home.

It was one of the most practical small game rifles EVER!

FWIW

Dale53

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 March 2017

dale53:   i liked your story ... old stories about old guns are simply the best ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • wd-30/40
GWarden posted this 02 March 2017

Dale

Dale 53

Appreciate all the work you did on working up a accurate load for your rifle. I assume from what you shared you tried different mixes, such as Lyman #2 mix? The straight scope you mentioned, was that the Weaver B scope in 4 or 6power? My rifle just arrived today. I was in Houston last weekend and my friend took me to Collectors firearms- Wow, what a place. They have 14,000 firearms in stock and 5,000 on the floor. Never seen so many high quality rifles in one place. I was looking for another cal. of rifle, but the ones they had were out of my price range. The fella helping me asked if I would be interested in a 25 20WCF. He brings the Marlin out in “as new condition". That darn little rifle said “I'm going home with you", it was all over. I had to get out of that place, it is dangerous, fella could lose his senses and walk out with lots of toys. You take care.

Bob

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 02 March 2017

Rich

Were you using straight lino for your bullets?

bob

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 02 March 2017

Now I only use my standard WW's plus 2% tin, but I tried linotype and linotype mixes. I'm just not that persistent, like Dale. If I can't find a load in a couple of hundred rounds I usually quit. However my Savage in 25/20 shoots jacketed bullets in one MOA. So I knew there was a load somewhere for it. It only took ten years and was given the key by a Canadian member here who got me started with the RCBS bullet.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 11 March 2017

Two members sent me PM's and I replied regarding the subject matter here. However, it appears that they didn't receive my replies. My replies were through the PM system. Maybe it is not operational, yet?

My email address is:

(disguised)  rmgee733 AT gmail dot com

Let me know if you have received the PM's or not...

Dale53

P.S. Thanks for the kind words, good people.rdm

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 11 March 2017

Dale

Did not receive your PM

Bob

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 12 March 2017

Bob;

Please write me direct at my above email address. I will respond quickly. That also applies to the other gentleman.

Dale53

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 12 March 2017

Dale53

I tried sending an email to your address as you posted above, but it keeps coming back as not able to deliver. I will send you a PM with my email address.

Bob

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 14 March 2017

Bob;

I have just answered your query by email, direct. Now, we can converse...

Dale53

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 05 April 2017

What year, about, was your Marlin made? 

I have an original M92 Winchester 25-20, it shoots “minute of beer can” out to about 80 yards with the Lyman 87 grain CB with a gas check.  Mostly have used Unique in this caliber, it seems to be my “go to” powder for most all “oddball” rounds.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 02 June 2017

GWarden;

I bought one of these when they first hit the market. I also bought a bulk pack of jacketed bullets, but never used them to this day. At any rate, I bought a Lyman 225420 flat point gas check bullet mold. At first, my rifle did not want to shoot. I am nothing, if not stubborn (er-r-r, PERSISTENT) and I kept changing loads and shooting. At about the 500 round point, the rifle suddenly started shooting well. I ended up with three loads for my needs.

1- My squirrel load was 4.0 grs. of Unique. I did not chronograph this but it flat worked like a CHARM. Whether it was a head shot or a body shot, the squirrel (whether the smaller greys, or the larger fox squirrels found in this area) they came out of the trees DRN.

2- My general purpose load was 11.0 grs. of RL-7.

3- My “High Speed” load (similar to the old factory high speed load) and chronographed just under 2200 fps. was 14.0 grs. of RL-7. This is a compressed load and must NOT be shot in older rifles. These are not pressure tested, but I did take five cases, and shot them twenty times each. I was still using those cases when I lost the vision in my right eye and quit shooting long guns.

The only thing I did to the Marlin was I did stone the sear for a good trigger.

I mounted a straight tube low powered scope on the rifle. Using this, the rifle would consistently shoot possibles on the small bore target at fifty and one hundred yards. The “x” count was not impressive but it WOULD stay in the ten ring. For a hunting rifle I considered this impressive.

My bullets were cast of straight linotype and sized at .258". I used Hornady crimp on gas checks.

For several years, we ran lever action matches at our club. These were a mix of speed and slow fire, using bullseye and animal targets. Kind of small game IPSC matches. Any caliber lever action rifle using jacketed or cast bullets. My rifle dominated those matches (and I LOVED it). 

It went on down the pike, sadly, when I got rid of my long guns. Hopefully, it found a good home.

It was one of the most practical small game rifles EVER!

FWIW

Dale53

I chronographed your 4.0 gr Uniq load in my Marlin 1894CL, got velocity of 1430 fps. A very accurate load using your recipe. 

Bob

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 04 June 2017

Bob;

Happy to have been of help. Thanks for the chrono information, too. I'll tell you one thing, this mild little load is deadly on edible small game and, of course, very pleasant to shoot.

Dale53

Attached Files

Duke M posted this 07 June 2017

I have two 25-20s and in the process of bumbling around the internet jungle I found 139 pages on a 25-20 thread in Marlin Owners forum under the reloading header. Started in 2008 and going strong yet today. It will take a few cups of coffee to read, but some serious shooter contributed and added some good links also.

Duke

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • M3 Mitch
Close