New world recored with 308 airgun

• Last Post 26 July 2017
jr460 posted this 17 July 2017

Hello I know this is mainly a gun cast bullet forum this world recored was set with cast bullets

just with a air gun if you do not like this I understand you may remove it.

David Williams, founder of Hunters Supply has set a new world record with a Air Force .308 Texan Airgun. This fabulous achievement was made possible with the Texan tuning and the Big Bore Airgun pellet .308 30 Caliber 154 grain Spire Point by Hunters Supply. The target is 22 inches, the distance is 1107 yards at Hunter Supply 1200+ shooting range in New Mexico on July 16, 2017

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • David R.
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 18 July 2017

Great accomplishment with cast bullets, regardless if powered by powder or air.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

TheMrNotSoFamous posted this 18 July 2017

Outstanding! Do you know what kind of velocity he's getting to be able to reach out that far?

Owning a firearm doesn't make you armed anymore than owning a guitar makes you a musician...words of Jeff Cooper

Attached Files

jr460 posted this 18 July 2017

Data

The specification 
bullet Hunters Supply 154 SP BC .271 
velocity 10 ft infant of muzzle 986 fps 332 ft lbs 
velocity at 1100 yards 796 fps 217 ft lbs 
scope set at 4 inches from center of scope to center of bore. 
scope base cold shot M.O.A.B. 300 minuets 
scope Hawk Frontier 2.5x15 120 minuets 
bullet drop at 1100 yards -2289.2 inches = 190.767 feet which takes 832.44 1/4 inch clicks 
10 mph wind at 1100 yards at 90 degrees = 71.2 inches which is 5.934 feet 25.89 1/4 inch clicks 
All parts are factory except Maddog stock, hammer spring, Limb saver 
All 3 shots were with mill dead on target and it takes a little over 4 seconds for bullet to hit target. 
grouping is 11 inches x 15 inches on a 22 inch target at 1107 yards.cool

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 18 July 2017

Off the top of my head, something sounds in error with one of the following three.

Starting velocity

Ending velocity

Bc

Could there be a typo in this data set?

Attached Files

jr460 posted this 18 July 2017

No they are right 

BC . 271

start velocity 986 fps

1100 yards velocity  796 fps

Here is recovered pieces at 1107 yard target.

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 18 July 2017

I may have missed something but what exactly was the "record"?  Record group at 1100?  Just getting one shot 1,100 yards to the gong in ? shots?  Please tell us more.

John

Attached Files

45 2.1 posted this 18 July 2017

A subsonic loss of 190 fps over 1100 yards with that bullets shape and BC?????????? Maybe we should lob bullets in matches. I know for fact subsonic bullets can be extremely accurate, but my tang sights on my SS Traditional hunters will not let me shoot over 100 yards before losing zero for adjustments. I will have to inquire about how long a staff I need to get past 800 yards.

Attached Files

Larry Gibson posted this 18 July 2017

My "Miller" formula shows a retained velocity at 100 yards of 569 fps.  Still good shooting. 

LMG

Concealment is not cover.........

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 19 July 2017

No they are right 

BC . 271

start velocity 986 fps

1100 yards velocity  796 fps

Here is recovered pieces at 1107 yard target.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

It is very cool that he hit the target!

And, I am not trying to be a gloomy Gus....

But the math does not work with those three numbers.

A Bc of 0.27 won't produce so little velocity loss in that yardage. Again, not looking to make trouble, just saying.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 19 July 2017

My only question at this point is why "jr460" does not identify himself as "David Williams", since they are one in the same. On other forums they have the same questions about the numbers. 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 19 July 2017

I ran the JBM Bc and plugged in a higher value Bc for the bullet, everything else the same.

A bullet Bc of 0.771 (not the 0.271 cited) produced the remaining 796 fps @ 1100yards.

This is likely the source of the error. 

Larry is right, Something much closer to 569fps would remain at the steel target if the projectile has a Bc of 0.271.  By substituting 0.771 for 0.271 in the above you get exactly 796 fps at 1100 yds using the inputs in JBM. 

Attached Files

jr460 posted this 25 July 2017

I may have missed something but what exactly was the "record"?  Record group at 1100?  Just getting one shot 1,100 yards to the gong in ? shots?  Please tell us more.

John

Hello John 

The recored is 3 shot group at 1107 yards with a 308 Texan Air gun 1.34 Moa on a 22 inch target  all shot with rifle and bipod no bags .

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

jr460 posted this 25 July 2017

I ran the JBM Bc and plugged in a higher value Bc for the bullet, everything else the same.

A bullet Bc of 0.771 (not the 0.271 cited) produced the remaining 796 fps @ 1100yards.

This is likely the source of the error. 

Larry is right, Something much closer to 569fps would remain at the steel target if the projectile has a Bc of 0.271.  By substituting 0.771 for 0.271 in the above you get exactly 796 fps at 1100 yds using the inputs in JBM. 

Hello All

Do not get lost in the numbers the numbers I have quoted is from using Hornady ballistic calculator.Used for a guide only in sighting in at distance the dope from this program is off by as much as 150.inches it was used as a starting point only,

There is no program that will be correct with a lead bullet shot with out a gas check which is a rebated boat tail not the modern boat tail used today in the USA.

I am shooting in the mountains tempter ,humidity,barimeatric pressure ,and altitude  earth rotation will change what the paper says .

The quote is for reference only I have no way to chronograph bullet at target 1107 down range The recovered bullets are showing the bullet is coming into target from a very steep angel from above and is hitting the steel very hard ( I could hear the hits at 1107 yards) by looking at what is left of recovered bullets.I do not won't to start trouble on this forum over ballistic programs This bullet is a discontinued RCBS mold 30 150 SP in the RCBS cast bullet Manual number 1 is where the .271 Bc is being quoted from. 

David

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 25 July 2017

jr::   thank you for posting about the record ....

no trouble about the BC discussion ... it is just that we cast bullet types keep chasing the * one great secret * of cast bullet accuracy and we tend to obsess over any little detail that might let us be the first to reveal Merlin's secrets ...

...some even say that there is no * secret * ... just luck and a little hard work ...

.... and yes, air guns with cast are very interesting .... i remember well shooting against the olympic type airguns in bench rest ... at least at 20 yards .... they have no flyers ....   wonder why that is ??  a hundred shot string without one flyer !!! ...

so i am interested in  any airgun/cast bullet dope  you find ; after all, gunpowder just creates compressed air ...

ken

Attached Files

jr460 posted this 26 July 2017

jr::   thank you for posting about the record ....

no trouble about the BC discussion ... it is just that we cast bullet types keep chasing the * one great secret * of cast bullet accuracy and we tend to obsess over any little detail that might let us be the first to reveal Merlin's secrets ...

...some even say that there is no * secret * ... just luck and a little hard work ...

.... and yes, air guns with cast are very interesting .... i remember well shooting against the olympic type airguns in bench rest ... at least at 20 yards .... they have no flyers ....   wonder why that is ??  a hundred shot string without one flyer !!! ...

so i am interested in  any airgun/cast bullet dope  you find ; after all, gunpowder just creates compressed air ...

ken

Hello Ken

The main reason I have found for less flyers is the chamber pressure . With air guns you are only working with max 5000 psi

with firearms you are working with 14000 psi or more I believe this greater psi will force defects out to the surface of the bullet that is not visible to the eye Just what I have found from many years of shooting both.Here is a average grouping shot with the RCBS 150 SP out of air gun this can be done constantly  

1000 yards easy

Attached Files

Close