oddball swaged gas checked .38 spl wadcutter

• Last Post 07 July 2017
billwnr posted this 03 July 2017

Has anybody ever seen a hollow point, swaged, gaschecked .38 special wadcutter?   I was given a box of loaded ammo today and pulled one of the bullets as I wanted to show the donor that the WC was reversed.  Upon pulling it I found it to be gas checked and swaged.  Lube appears to be a graphite of some sort.   The box the ammo came in appeared to be a yellow Western box from the 40's-50's era.  Ammo appears to be reloads as the front of the box references SWC bullets.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
David Reiss posted this 03 July 2017

Photo please!

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 03 July 2017

Alberts Bullets in Franklin Lakes, NJ made a similar bullet for a commercial reloader in the 1980s.  Jerry Alberts is now deceased, and the swaging machines he had were bought by Federal from what I understand.  Jerry pioneered the process for swaging the HydaShok bullets and figured out how to make them at a high production rate without the bullets sticking on the punch.  He was a clever tool maker who got his start at the Picatinny Arsenal.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
  • 358156hp
358156hp posted this 04 July 2017

It's not gaschecked, but I do have an original Ideal 38 cal "manstopper" mold from the late 1920s-30s. It's essentially a hollowpoint wadcutter, not a reversed hollowbase design that would have different expansion dynamics. I really need to case a few samples with it. Once again, it is quite different from the hollowbase in bullet profile, and in the cavity, which appears to be designed to expand in a consistent manner, but limit the rate of expansion, and the maximum expanded diameter.

I've been thinking about having Accurate make me a four cavity mould, based on the original design as a base pour, then having Erik hollowpoint all four cavities.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 04 July 2017

After I looked at the bullet closer I realized it's not a gas check on the bottom, it's a half jacket.  Haven't seen one of those since we ordered some from Herter's in the 60's.

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 04 July 2017

Yup.  Did the half-jackets back in the early 60's.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 06 July 2017

Looks like a swaged concoction! 

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Wineman posted this 06 July 2017

I always liked the Hornady and Speer half jacketed 30 caliber 100 grain bullets for my 30 M1 Carbine. Less weight, no leading but let me tell you, a LEE loader in 30 Carbine is a Popeye arm builder. Those little tapered cases are hard to drive in and hard to drive out. Priming is a real challenge. I never had one go off but I'm not sure why? The RCBS Jr press was a godsend when I managed to scrape enough $1.25 per hour together to get it. A neighbor had given me a Lyman Tru-Line Jr press but I had no concept of the 310 tool dies and I gave it to someone who could use it. I still have ~200 Hornady in the stash somewhere.

Dave

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 07 July 2017

Wineman: Not to wander too far off the path of the thread but you're right about the 30 carbine Lee Loader. I picked one up as part of a trade deal and thought it must be out of spec. I have enjoyed the concentric cases that the Lee Loaders provide and often use them instead of the conventional neck dies. I've stopped WHACKING the cases and instead use a cheap Harbor Freight one ton arbor press and things got a lot easier. Gp

Attached Files

Close