PISTOLS

• Last Post 18 March 2019
joeb33050 posted this 23 February 2019

I've shot Savage Strikers and M10 Savage rifles turned into pistols for about ten years now. Shooting pistols with tipping managers have, in my opinion, been easier to shoot accurately than rifles in anything less than a full-blown many dollar front and rear rest. I've never dared to say that pistols are easier to shoot accurately, but now I'm seeing others say so, so I'm out of the closet. Friday I watched a serious BR guy set up, and his rests were as close to a machine rest as matters. Bags probably not deformable much with the human hand-when did a match official last squeeze a contestant's bag?  Pistols, whoda thunk?  

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
x101airborne posted this 26 February 2019

I don't get to do it much anymore, but I love to shoot my Remington XP's and my TC's out to 250 yards.

I have a 2x6 set up at 250 next to a trash pit and shoot old sodas and beer off it. When all the stars line up correctly, I can clean a 6 pack with 6 shots. When I started over across the street, I shot a very large sow with a water dropped wheel weight 311041 out of a TC 308 pistol. Entered right in front of the right leg and exited out the shoulder. DRT. My oldest son wants to learn to pistol hunt. I will probably teach him on that 308 and hogs this year. He is 16 and has been hunting with me since he was 5. 

Of course now that I have had shoulder surgery (4 anchors, 2 hooks, 1 steel cable and 18 stitches) I will probably have to teach myself all over again. 

Attached Files

gemihur posted this 14 March 2019

Airborne, be careful with that shoulder. Put some legs on it and see what she'll do.

7-30 waters w target

I shoot, therefore I am

Attached Files

x101airborne posted this 15 March 2019

WOW! That is a SWEET group!

May I inquire as to your loading?

Attached Files

gemihur posted this 15 March 2019

.7-30 Waters 130 gr. Speer Spire point w/33.0 gr. IMR 4064 @ 2200 fps (COAL = 2.853")

You can push them a lot harder but there's really no need to.

Loaded 'em Sept. 12, 2016 Took a medium doe @ 75 yds offhand shot Oct. 24 2018 frontal impact

That threaded brake on the super 14 REALLY makes it LOUD! Unnecessarily so, I think. Gimme the recoil, please.

More people have been won over to the contender by the performance of the 7-30 Waters than any other, I think.

I shoot, therefore I am

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
R. Dupraz posted this 15 March 2019

That is a dandy group. What was the distance? Factory or custom barrel ? I have a used super 14 7-30 Waters and it is loud with the few full powered jacketed loads that I have tried without a compensator.. Not so much with mild cast though. Appears to be a good shooter with lead.

The 7-30 Waters would be my choice if I ever decided to do any hunting again. 

R. 

Attached Files

gemihur posted this 15 March 2019

The distance was 88 yds with about a 7-9 degree elevation increase, should drop in center around 100-115 yd.

Barrel is factory super 14 7-30 Waters threaded 1/2x 28.

All ammunition I fire is hand-loaded. The majority of it is mandated, 6TCU, 357/44 B&D, Herretts, Ackleys, etc.

I load 'em on the soft side of the charts.

I shoot, therefore I am

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
bullethead posted this 16 March 2019

Richard, would you share your cast loads for the 7-30? I have loaded a few to try on silhouette shooting to 200 meters without much success. The jacketed loads I have used are a bit too much recoil and muzzle blast for match shooting. I have the shorter 10 inch barrel scoped. 

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 16 March 2019

Sure. 

First, The 7-30 Waters is listed on page 131 in the 4th edition of the Lyman Cast bullet manual. 20" barrel. If interested, I can send a photo copy by private e-mail. Other wise, I'll just PM you with my loads, Maybe tonight.

R. 

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 17 March 2019

Bullethead, check your PM. That 2400 load will go under 2" at 100 yds. so maybe it will work for those animals at 200 if it has enough snort to tip them over. I shoot the lever action silhouette with cast in a 38-55 Marlin and I think those animals are the same size if I'm not mistaken. I know that it takes a pretty healthy whack to upend those 50# rams at 200. .

R. 

Attached Files

bullethead posted this 18 March 2019

R.D, thanks for the info. That might bring me to drag the Contender out of the safe and give it a workout. I have shot a few jacketed out of it but found it to be a bit too much recoil and muzzle blast, neither of which are conducive to accurate shooting. Besides, I prefer to shoot cast whenever I can. 

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 18 March 2019

That SR 4756 load is also one of the most accurate in my 7-30 Waters super 14 barrel and TC G-2 frame. But sadly that powder has gone way. And be aware that my sole mission in life any more is attempting to find the combination for that magical one hole group at the least velocity and recoil only, So it is likely that those loads won't tip steel animals except may be the chickens at fifty and / 0r turkeys at 150. You probably will have to do some careful adjusting while keeping the strength limits of those Contender pistol frames in mind. . 

R. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close