Powder Position

• Last Post 25 October 2018
tlkeizer posted this 23 October 2018

Greetings,

In your experience, when shooting a load with only half a case filled with powder, in particular IMR4198, or less, using Green Dot and Unique, which gives more consistent results: having the powder falling to the primer by tipping the barrel of the rifle up, having the powder falling to the bullet by tipping the rifle tip down (or just the cartridge)?  I am using loads from the Lyman Cast Bullet Reloading Manual, and I did not see where it addresses this issue.  I am loading nominally one grain above the lightest charge listed and one grain blow the heaviest charge listed to see if one is significantly better than the other for grouping.

I hope to hit the coyote at least half the time.

TK

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Scearcy posted this 23 October 2018

TK

Can't hurt to tip the barrel up. In a match setting where I am uncomfortable lifting the barrel off of the bags, I lightly tap the cases base on the bench a couple of times. Then load carefully.  Obviously don't bang the primers on a hard surface.

I am shooting IMR 4198.

Jim

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 24 October 2018

I do just what Jim does, but use A2400. My research says the MV is higher with the powder at the rear, but ES is smaller with powder at the front. Using the SAMMI roll, equally along the bottom, is worse of both worlds.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 24 October 2018

Two things.

1st, when I was shooting my 1893 carbine with the #287405 over 10grs UNIQUE,  I raised the muzzle up to 45degrees & tapped the butt on the bench,  before bringing the muzzle down horizontal to fire. It DID make a difference when pulling the rounds out of the box, positioned bullet down. Groups shrunk from 3 1/2" to 2 1/2" or less (5 shots).

2nd, when shooting at the old LAPD Harbor Range, 30yrs+ years back, I would fire and the bring the muzzle of my K-38 down to rest on the outside edge of the bench. One of the old guys (about 60+yrs, my age now) told me I was causing the Powder(Bullseye) in my loads to move forward against the bullet base, whereas it should be held back up against the primer instead. So I should NOT bring the revolver to a muzzle down position between shots. Yep it made a difference,  I was able to put 6 shots into the x-ring. 25yds wish I could still shoot that well.

Powder position does make a difference. 

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 24 October 2018

My issue with powder position is that it is just one of three, or more, factors: primers and crimp. Primers make huge difference in position sensitivity. Crimp also will change powder burn character.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • shastaboat
shastaboat posted this 24 October 2018

I do just what Jim does, but use A2400. My research says the MV is higher with the powder at the rear, but ES is smaller with powder at the front. Using the SAMMI roll, equally along the bottom, is worse of both worlds.

I agree on 2400 and use it from .223 to all other larger cases including 30-06 and 8x57.  On the larger cases I also add a half grain of kapoc fiber to hold the powder to the base.  Not really a filler but a powder position restriction.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

Ross Smith posted this 25 October 2018

I vote for powder in the back.

Attached Files

Close