Primer selection for 5744 and .38-55

• 1.1K Views
  • Last Post 19 July 2020
Tom Acheson posted this 18 July 2020

Any suggestions out there for a”best” primer for Accurate 5744 powder?

I have been using CCI BR-2 but am thinking about Federal Large Rifle Match (GM 210M).

Thanks!

Tom

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 19 July 2020

Primers are a question of much discussion;  I've standardized on Federal 210, or 210M, and W-W Large Rifle based on experience, shared experience and the following articles. The one exception in Small Rifle primers is the Remington 7 1/2 primer for .221 Fireball (prairie dogs), .222 Remington Magnum (prairie dogs), and 6 mm BR (cast). 

Many winter weekend bull sessions in the days of the Marston Municipal Range, before the range became Windhill, discussed the primer choice factor between the shooters. Based on experience and these tests, the Federal and W-W  primers show the same results on the target and eliminate one more variable.   

(I've been accused of providing a $0.50 answer to a $0.05 question several times in my life. I hope not again.)

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Tom Acheson posted this 19 July 2020

Hi Bud,

That article was really interesting, thank you!

Was interesting to discover the prior name of the Windhill range. I've only been there twice but I do remember the nearby town name of Marston. The concept of a handfull of shooters getting together and owning a range is really something.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
GBertolet posted this 19 July 2020

Consider using large pistol primers. They work well with easy to ignite powders, such as 5744. As long as the pressure is under 35 to 40k, there are no pressure issues. Large pistol primers run about .005 shorter than the rifle primers, so adequate firing pin protrusion is needed, which is seldom an issue. I use them all the time in the 30-30, 30-40, 308, 35 Whelen, 375 H&H, and 458, with cast bullets, and 4759 powder.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Tom Acheson posted this 19 July 2020

GB,

That's a reasonable suggestion. I have a Sharps Model 74 chambered in 40 2 1/2 (40-70). All I shoot in it is black powder. The last 4-years I 've been using Federal large pistol match powders in it, which work a bit better than the large rifle primers (CCI BR-2).

I had not considered the large pistol primers for the .38-55 as I only use smokeless powder in it. I might give it a try the next time around.....thanks!

If there is a downside to the use of the shorter pistol primers, it is a few stories that circulated about pitting of the face of the brrech block in the Sharps. I check mine anually for that but so far no damage. The steel in and the design of the breech block might be responsible for some of those stories.

Right now I must load up about (200) rounds for a CBA Regional match next weekend and am rolling the dice with FC 210M primers and 5744....we'll see....

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Bud Hyett posted this 19 July 2020

Primers were a discussion point four decades ago in the winter bull sessions between my two uncles, Ed Doonan and myself. The premise was the CCI would flash at the back to ignite the powder in the back of the case while the Federal and Winchester would flash forward to ignite the powder in the center of the case. The discussion was the better choice. All of us had different shooting scenarios to support our discussion.

Then someone published the first set of primer flash photos and the discussions were now more in earnest. Based on the photos; 

• CCI primers flash at the back of the case to ignite the back of the powder column and then burn progressively forward to give uniform ignition.
  • Federal and W-W primers flash straight to ignite the powder in the center of the case and burn outward for uniformity. 
  • Remington primers are between, they flash forward and outward to ignite the back half of the powder column. 

When you add in the ignition characteristics of the powder, there are too many factors to predict which primer is a better choice.  Federal and W-W primers are the most readily available here in the Pacific Northwest, thus the first choice.

I have a rule in bottleneck cases to use only charges that fill at least 50% of the case. The primer that leaps forward and ignites the powder column uniformly is desired based on my testing. But only with a case at least half full. Tap the case three times on the bench and load carefully to keep the powder in the back of the case has shown to eliminate the occasional flyer.

All is only theory based on observation. I do not have the financial or time resources to conduct an adequate formal experiment that would satisfy the relationships between the known and unknown factors. In summary, the only viable test for the CBA Shooter is the results on the target. 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Close