Reloading .30 Rem for an old Remington Model 8 Autoloader - NS OK?

• Last Post 05 March 2019
Tom-in-Pittsburgh posted this 03 March 2019

Am getting ready to start reloading for an old Remington Model 8 autoloader. Anyone out there reloading/shooting one of these?

I would just like to know if I can get away with neck-sizing between loads, or do I need to FL size each time?

TIA,

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
BigMan54 posted this 03 March 2019

I would imagine just Partial Sizing your first fired cases would tell you if a neck sizing die would be worth while.

I P-L size or N-S every bottleneck case I load for. 

Except Brass from military auto-loaders. That Brass is Full-length sized in a std sizing die. 

I only use Military brass in Military-style auto-loading Rifles.

And Commercial brass in Bolt, Lever & Single Shot Rifles.

Partial Sizing is pretty easy, in fact Redding sells a set of 3 spacer "washers" for .38/.357 , .44M/.44S and what they call a spacer for " no crimp/ partial sizing. Works very well for me. 

In fact the P-S brass for my .30-30 fits in a Win 94, Marlin 336CB & H&R.

I even use Lyman 310 Neck Sizer die in a 7/8x14 conversion bushing to N-S .270Win, .300Sav & .30-06.

So try that Partial Sizing first.

Just my thoughts.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 03 March 2019

For my .25 Remington, I must resize for full powder loads. I can partial resize with cast bullet loads that don't work the action. FWIW

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 04 March 2019

Love hearing about people working with old rifles. Awesome.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 04 March 2019

I have one in .35 Remington, I think I got away with neck sizing or partial sizing cast bullet loads.  It's been a while - too long really - since I got this gat out and shot it.

"Conventional Wisdom" is that for autoloaders, you need to full length size, and some of the more finicky ones you need to use a small base die.  

FWIW, in .35 Remington it's easy to come up with CB loads that work the action just fine.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John F.
Sendaro posted this 05 March 2019

Whenever dealing with loading ammo for an auto loaded FULL LENGTH SIZE.Unless you plan to single load or like clearing jams.

X

Attached Files

Tom-in-Pittsburgh posted this 05 March 2019

Thanks for all of the input - much appreciated. Looks as if I have plenty of experimenting to do!

Attached Files

Close