Remove 45-45-10

• Last Post 19 March 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
BigMan54 posted this 08 March 2019

What is the BEST way to remove lube from bullets, so I can Powder Coat them ?

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 08 March 2019

Bag them, tag them and put them on the shelf.  You will probably have some reason to use them instead of the powder coated bullets down the road.  You probably already have enough to keep you busy without making more work for yourself.  Might end up giving them to someone new to the sport to get them started. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • MarkinEllensburg
GP Idaho posted this 12 March 2019

Roger: Some things just aren't worth the effort and expense.  By the time you drive miles, buy mineral spirits and mess with cleaning the lube off, I believe this to be one good example of just not worth it.  In the end, unless you can get the bullets cleaned about ten times cleaner than one would think necessary the residual will most likely interfere with getting a good coverage with powder coat anyway. IMHO.  Shoot 'em. Gp

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
delmarskid posted this 08 March 2019

I haven't tried this but it will probably work. Soak them in gasoline or something. It's the cheapest strong solvent out there. A couple of cycles should do it. You should probably smoke and eat sandwiches while at it.

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 08 March 2019

Rog,

If you really really must remove the lube, soak in xylene with a couple of changes and maybe wipe them dry.  It will be stinky and wear rubber gloves, but that will remove the alox and the wax.  Xylene was what we used to use to remove the wax from sections before staining.  Of course the xylene was followed by absolue ethanol, and then graded ethanol water mix until we got to water, then they were stained. 

Personally I like Duane's advice, but I also understand that sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 08 March 2019

I guess there was no simple way to do this, but I thought I would ask anyway. I guess I'll just have to grit my teeth and cast more bullets. 

My Chiropractor will just have to shoot the 1200 Lyman #429667 bullets I cast/sized/lubed before he fell in love with the N.O.E. TL432-240-RF, That I PC'd.

Sometimes You Win and sometimes You Lose

Thanks, Guys

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 09 March 2019

BigMan54

45:45:10 is easily thinned with mineral spirits and it can be removed with it too. I use the unscented variety and that helps with the stink. Put the bullets in a jar and cover them with mineral spirits, let sit a day and gently agitate occasionally. dump the spirits and do again for another day. Dump the spirits again and then dump the bullets on a towel and pat them dry. That should do it well.

Gary

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 11 March 2019

Gary,

Thank you. Gives me an excuse to drive down to Orange Cnty. Unsented mineral spirits are illegal in LA Cnty. Dumn idjits.

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 11 March 2019

Soaking in acetone for a while worked for me.

Attached Files

jchiggins posted this 12 March 2019

Forgot to mention that a few minutes in the toaster oven at 200 degrees then drop and roll on a paper towel works very well on commercial cast bullet lubes...... might work as well for your lubes.  Quick, clean and no chemicals.

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 12 March 2019

jc,i

Years ago I tried to remove hard blue lube from some commercial cast .44 bullets that some one had given me.

I put 50 of the bullets in a mason jar, covered them with acetone, shook hard and left them on the shelf. Two days later I poured out the blue liquid. The bullets still had a "white" lube in the grooves. All the acetone did was bleach out the blue "dye" in the commercial lube. I just loaded them for pistol loads for the indoor range.

Thanks for the idea, though. 

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 12 March 2019

Yup, I would shoot em .

Attached Files

Bud Hyett posted this 14 March 2019

Hair blow dryer and old cookie sheet outside on porch; scrape the lube up and use for flux.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

BigMan54 posted this 14 March 2019

I thank you all for your idea's. 

But I think I'll just use them up them up as they are. Gp is right, It's more trouble then It's worth. Besides I can't cast now for the next 2-3 weeks.

And anyway who doesn't love just throwing lead down range any old way. 

Attached Files

tlkeizer posted this 19 March 2019

Greetings,

I agree with shootem, recoverem, recastem, and go from there.

TK

Attached Files

Close