The Forgotten 44-40!

• Last Post 31 August 2019
Bryan Austin posted this 25 August 2019

My 44-40 and I had a long discussion the other night. He (yes, this one is a male) told me stories from long ago, from the time his great great great grandfathers were born, through the times when his brothers were the best rifle cartridge out there, till they almost were extinct after WWII. He told me great tales of his forefathers and how they fought the great Red Men but what got me tearing up is when he told me how people soon forgot when they were the great Rifle Cartridge that Won The West, to just being referred to as just another "feminine pistol cartridge". That they could not understand how they were once thought so great, but then simply turned away as weak. Once revived during the pre-WW days as "High Velocity" loads, but then soon completely forgotten. Once when they thought they were being remembered during the creation of a great sport...just to be muzzled, stripped of their First Amendment Right and not allowed to perform at their best, restricting them to low volume, even then being misunderstood by those that failed to be taught by the elders. The Snowflakes simply calling them "Pistol Cartridges". I told him that those folks were not snowflakes but rather Cartridge Millennial's, but he insisted......SNOWFLAKES. I yielded and let him continue. He explained...unlike the 44 Magnum that was born into a pistol, a 357 magnum also born into a pistol as well as even his distant cousin the 45 Colt, all born into pistols....they insisted and "Identified" themselves as "going both ways".....but in all aspects, they were just over energetic pistol cartridges, while he showed me his birth certificate on file with SAAMI...indeed listed as a Rifle Cartridge. With that, we soon faded off into deep sleep, dreaming of the once glory days!!!!!!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
alphabrass posted this 25 August 2019

My grandfather, born in Tombstone A.T., told me he had a '92 Winchester in .44-40 when he was a young man.  He said it was a great rifle for ranch work.  He said that when shooting black powder ammunition the recoil increased with each shot and that by the end of the magazine the kick was pretty stout.  The rifle was stolen a some point.  When Marlin returned to the market with the 1894 in .44 magnum he bought one and thought it was a great gun too.  Perfect for ranch work on the Arizona- Mexico border.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
  • M3 Mitch
JeffinNZ posted this 25 August 2019

Nice work. My Hornet identifies as a Swift by the way.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
  • Bud Hyett
BigMan54 posted this 27 August 2019

I've always thought of the .44WCF as a Rifle Cartridge. Really ticked me off that SASS consider's this Great Rifle Cartridge to be Not worthy to compete SxS with .38-55Ballard-Winchester, and .45-70Gov't

My Dad always planned to turn his Win 92 into a .44Mag, older Brothers pestered him a lot when I was little. But he just never got around to it. 

I'm glad cause I have it now. Just wish the bbl wasn't a rusty sewer pipe.

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
Ed Harris posted this 28 August 2019

You might consider relining your 92.  Preserves the exterior markings and patina.  Skillfully done it takes a trained eye to tell.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
  • M3 Mitch
BigMan54 posted this 30 August 2019

Ed,

Now that you mention it, I think that was My Dad's intention when he gave me the old SRC just before he passed.

Do you, by chance know someone that could perform this work ?

Thanks,

Rog

Long time Caster/Reloader, Getting back into it after almost 10yrs. Life Member NRA 40+yrs, Life S.A.S.S. #375. Does this mean a description of me as a fumble-fingered knuckle-draggin' baboon. I also drool in my sleep. I firmly believe that true happiness is a warm gun. Did I mention how much I HATE auto-correct on this blasted tablet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bryan Austin
  • M3 Mitch
beltfed posted this 30 August 2019

John Taylor does Lining of barrels.

beltfed/arnie

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Ed Harris posted this 31 August 2019

John has done lots of work for me and I have been well pleased.

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
Close