Wanted, Handoader Magazine Article, Jim Waters, 303B

• Last Post 11 October 2019
  • Topic Is Solved
SkinnerD posted this 06 October 2019

Hi I am looking for someone willing to email me a scan of a Jim Waters article on the 303 B from Handloader Magazine, April 1995 - Issue Number 174. The article title is;

Pet Loads: A New Look at the .303 British - Update on an old favorite - Ken Waters.

I could buy a copy of the mag from Amazon but they won't ship it to NZ.

If someone was willing to scan and email me the article "for research purposes" I would be very grateful. Please PM me.

Kind regards

John

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
dualsport posted this 06 October 2019

I might have it. Take me a few days to get at it. If I do I’ll let you know. I’m a .303 fan. TT

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
GWarden posted this 07 October 2019

John

I have the article, will send a pdf file to you. I sent a private message to you . Will get it out as soon as I get your email address.

Bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • SkinnerD
SkinnerD posted this 07 October 2019

Thanks Bob, article received - brilliant!

For those wondering, this Waters article is about the only place I have found load data for Reloder 19 powder in the 303 British.

I have come across references to it in forums but no one seemed quite sure so it's great to track it down. One of the references suggested RL19 as an ideal powder for heavy weight cast Woodleigh bullets at (I think it was) 220gn weight. These used to be a favourite in Canada and may still be although I read somewhere they were discontinued. It was on a Canadian forum some time ago that I first found RL19 mentioned as a heavy load powder for 303B

I have 205 and 215 gn cast GC bullets for the 303B and about a kilo and a half of RL19 . Hence my interest.

RL19 would usually be seen as on the slow side for the 303B case. Waters is offering loads for 180gn and 215gn bullets at a tad over 2100 and 2000 fps respectively. Nice respectable hunting round speeds for GC Cast I am hoping. The fact that they are a Waters Pet Load certainly gives some confidence.

It's also interesting that the original 303B cartridge was loaded with a 215-grain projectile.

Thanks again for the assist.

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
JeffinNZ posted this 08 October 2019

John - I shoot 41gr of AR2209 (H4350) under a 220gr cast for 2000fps.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch
  • SkinnerD
SkinnerD posted this 11 October 2019

Thks Jeff, handy info. Not a powder that Lyman lists in their CBH.  I don't happen to have AR2209 on hand but that is easily remedied.  Provided its in stock of course. I'll file this one away for the mo.

Lyman CBH 4th notes SR4759 gives very good results across the three projectile weights they list. I do have a can of that so will make some comparisons. 

As a side note it's interesting that the Lyman 4th Ed CBH has data for 180gr, 185gr, and 200gr cast projectiles.

The 3rd Ed has data for 151gr, 200gr and 210gr. I do not have earlier editions but wonder if the data is for different projectile weights again? 

Speer #11 has data for a 308 Dia 100gr plinker, 150gr spitzer and 180gn RN - the latter in .311 dia

Hornady Rifle & Pistol Vol 2 has only 150gn RN and 174gn Spire Pt - both .312 dia

Current online and manual data seems to universally top out at 180gn projectiles. I guess that's not news to anyone but shows the value of a forum like this as well as of collecting old loading books and data sheets. Eventually everything useful gets covered.

I'll put a can of AR2209 on the grocery list :-)

cheers

J.

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

I should also ask, what dia is your 220gn?  Are you casting them your self (Mould? Alloy?) or buying (source?)

I assume it has a GC?

cheers

J.

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 11 October 2019

CBE 314 220 that I cast.  I was heat treating WW alloy but suspect that was not necessary.  Need to test that.  Casts at .316 so tend to shoot as big as I can.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • M3 Mitch

Mmm nice mould!

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

Close