Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: cba_admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
44 Mag 320 gr load  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Sun Nov 4th, 2007 09:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
George4741

I've been using a standard load of 16 grains of 2400 in several of my rifles and large caliber revolvers with good results.  Reloading data is limited, but I recently worked up to 16 grains of 2400 in my .44 Mag with a 320 grain bullet cast in an LBT WLN mold.  Recoil was heavy but the case and primer didn't show any signs of excessive pressure.  I didn't chronograph the load, but expect it is in the 1000 to 1100 fps range.

Any thoughts on this load from others?  As with any magnum load, I imagine a steady diet of these will be hard on my old S&W M29, so I will only shoot them occasionally.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2007 07:33 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
gunarea

Hey George;
My elephant killer uses a 318gr semi wad on top of 6.1 grs of Red dot. Not the magnum load you are suffering through. This load was not devoloped for power though. The NRA Hunter pistol course has Rams at 100m and I wanted to make ammo adjustments rather than sight adjustments. At 40m the chicken targets require a much different sight elevation and thence a much different load. For each of the four different distances I have a load. The Rams at 100m with this big ol bullet really dance. The same bullet with 5.0grs of Red dot will be dead on at 75m, no sight adjustment, the damm turkeys are at this distance. Both loads need a heavy crimp for good obturation. Since I seldom hunt anymore, nearly all my shooting is target practice. You are correct about your M29 suffering almost as bad as you will be after a good dose of your elephant killers. Check all the screws and have fun.
Roy

Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2007 09:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
George4741

Thank you for the info, Roy. I have a can of Red Dot, too, and I am looking at applications for it in my guns. Your suggestion may be right up my alley for heavy bullet plinking loads in my .44 Mag.

Current time is 06:48 pm  
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Guns & Shooting > Hand Guns > 44 Mag 320 gr load Top

Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems