Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: Veral Smith
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
170gr 6.5mm mold  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 09:40 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Augois

Midsouth Shooter's supply advertises a special order Lee mold that is 170grFP 6.5mm mold for use in the Swedish Mauser military rifles. I have been watching this for some time now, as it seems to be an interesting mold to me, however, it is always on order, and never in stock. Has anyone actually seen one of these molds?

:thinking: Thanks MARK!

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 01:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
4060may
CBA Member

I have one, doesn't fit my Swede.
Fit my Arisaka fine, sold the Arisaka.
Make me an offer in a PM

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 01:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
4060may
CBA Member

A picture of the mould

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
giorgio de galleani
CBA Member

The  old military 6.5x55  have bores that are larger han the currently made sporting 6,5 bores.

Swedes shoot a lot and most of the rifles  on the are well worn.

I had a beautyful Biathlon rifle that Keyholed at 300 meters.

The little round brass disk on the butt should carry a measure of the barrel at the muzzle ,measured from the tops of the lands.when the rifle was last inspected from a governement armourer.

Slug the throat, and have a custom mould made.

I have a couple of Lyman Loverin  moulds that cast  bullets that should shoot well  from   my carl gustaf

,while a Sabatti 6.5 likes saeco bullets.

I prefer US GI surplus Rifles ,in 30 caliber, a good 03,03A3 or 17 may cost big money,but is surely easier on your coronaries ,because it's easy to find good moulds of correct diameters for them. 

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 06:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ken Campbell Iowa
CBA Member

Howdy ...  back when I had several of the Swedes 38 ... I bot for them a couple of new surplus military barrels ... from Century, I think .. anyway, they were inexpensive, and had extremely smooth grooves/lands ...  I thought maybe they were hand lapped ...  although the chambering job seemed pretty rough to my borescope ...  I always thought if I needed to rebarrel one of the rifles, I would set the barrel back 1/8 inch or so and put a better chamber in it ... 
Anyway, ya might look at GunParts ( Numrich ) and see if a new surplus barrel is still available ... I thought mine in smoothness rivaled anything I have ... including HammerForged and Blackstar types.
I would not hesitate to make a light wt rifle from one of these surplus M38 barrels ... They looked really good. Keep in mind the large dia around the chamber is very short, ala mauser, you might have to bush it to fit it  to other actions.

just a thought, ken campbell, iowa

Posted: Mon Jun 9th, 2008 08:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
4060may
CBA Member

My swede is a Carl Gustav, made in 1919, and is a model 96/38, seems to be cut down at the factory, no bent bolt.
The rifle was still in the packing grease, took a week to clean it out.
69.95 in 198x don't remeber what year

The SAECO bullet , 140gr, about 18bhn with 3031 does pigs at 300M with regularity.
Sized .268, lubed with gray24. Lapua brass, F210 primers.

Posted: Mon Jun 16th, 2008 11:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
mtgrs737

I have that Lee Mould from Midsouth and it is an oversized 6.5mm bullet dropping at around .269".  My Swede M96 slugs around .2675" and this bullet shoots well with out leading with a 10 grain load of Unique.  I also have a six cavity Lee custom mould I got from a group buy that throws a 130 grain Lovern style bullet at .2695" that shoots very well with 10.8 grs. of Unique.  I am just getting started with this rifle after having owned it for 15 years.  With either of these loads it is a sweet shooting rifle and a lot of fun!  Keep an eye on the Midsouth site or call them and see if they will let you backorder a mould or two.  Good luck!

Current time is 09:25 am  
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Bullet Casting > Bullet Moulds or Molds > 170gr 6.5mm mold Top

Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems