Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Bullet Casting > Paper Patching > Paper Patched Original British style Enfield Minie bullet

Moderated by: cba_admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Paper Patched Original British style Enfield Minie bullet  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Mar 31st, 2009 01:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Campchair

I have a 100% Parker-Hale 2-band 1853 Enfield from the very first Jana Sports imported lot that I need to get back up and running. I am particularly interested in rolling some of the original English/Confederate-type paper cartridges, where the smooth-sided bullet is paper patched&wax-dipped,  and is reversed (point to the powder) in the cartridge, unlike the "American" cartridges where the bullet is loaded bare. I have several .577-..58Cal. Lyman moulds, including the 57730 duplicate of the original British bullet except it has the 3 lube grooves, and the 575213, and the 575203-OS in .580 size) I'd like to try the 57730 with the thick patch to improve the fit (Mine has the tapered bore; very early 4 digit S/N; 1-piece English Walnot stock; no Italian parts) and to cut down on the leading, which I remember was pretty bad. The bore is still 100%; like to keep it that way. Is the 57730 a good choice for this barrel combo? Who makes swages for this size, especially one that can accomodate the thick paper patch? I do have a  small arbor press I can use to "push it through the die" , as I know the Lyman sizer-lubricator is a bit small for this size. How thick should the patch for the bullet be? In reading the British Ordnance accounts and the "Confederate Gorgas Letter", it seems they are talking about something like card stock. Is this accurate?

"A Law-Abiding Citizen has a gun because they WANT it, not because they were finally able to convince some disapproving bureaucrat they indeed had a "need" for one, like Subjects have to in less fortunate parts of the world."
Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Mar 31st, 2009 07:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
BruceV
CBA Member

Somebody is bound to answer your question. I will look forward to how you proceed and what are your results. Sincerely. Bruce

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 02:19 am  
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Bullet Casting > Paper Patching > Paper Patched Original British style Enfield Minie bullet Top

Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems