Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Guns & Shooting > Lever Guns > Take down of a jap Winchester; looking for instructions.

Moderated by: cba_admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Take down of a jap Winchester; looking for instructions.  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2013 04:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
richidaho

I have a lovely jap Winchester 1886 45-70 with the heavy barrel and long magazine tube. I would like to learn how to tear this gun down for cleaning and gunsmithing.

I would really like to do a trigger job. If anyone knows a book, cd, or youtube video please send me a link.

Thanks

Rich L

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Tue Jan 15th, 2013 09:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Alexander
CBA President

I have a 1892 Winchester clone with Browning's name on it and would also like to have instructions for the same purpose. I don't know if the 92 is just a little 1886 or there are other differences besides scale.

I took down a M-71 once and regretted it before I finally got it back together so don't want to just wing it.

John

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2013 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RicinYakima
CBA Member

Gentlemen,
You're are looking for "Firearms Assembly 3" from the NRA's Book selection. My copy is dated 1980 and ISBN 0-935998-32-2 . They have both of the Winchesters. The diagrams are excellent, but the narative is sparce if you are not familiar with gunsmithing terminology.

hth, Ric

p.s. Nice elk trip, right!

Last edited on Wed Jan 16th, 2013 12:05 am by RicinYakima

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2013 11:42 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
John Alexander
CBA President

Ric,

Thanks for the information. I assume that the Japanese versions are enough like the originals that the directions will still work. i need the book anyway because I have a couple of Winchester 92s as well. Watched too many westerns as a kid I guess.

John

Posted: Wed Jan 16th, 2013 01:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dan Willems

richidaho wrote:
I have a lovely jap Winchester 1886 45-70 with the heavy barrel and long magazine tube. I would like to learn how to tear this gun down for cleaning and gunsmithing.

I would really like to do a trigger job. If anyone knows a book, cd, or youtube video please send me a link.

Thanks

Rich L

Rich, with today's digital camera capabilities, it is easy to take plenty of pictures during takedown. A book would help of course with one or two tips, but you can make tour own with photos and notes for further reference of your rifle.

An '86 won't be able to have a trigger job down to target trigger performance, but I've been able to improve triggers in most any lever action by buffing all moving parts with a power wheel. I look closely for burs and remove them.

If I'm using a rifle for range use only, I grease trigger parts with a high quality gun action grease from Bownnells'. If I'm going into the field with the rifle, I use ER on all the parts.........Dan

Last edited on Wed Jan 16th, 2013 01:35 pm by

Posted: Thu Feb 7th, 2013 05:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Canuck Bob

My Winoku 92 TD is as follows.
Empty gun and mag
Open action and leave lever extended
Screw out the tube until free and pull out at least a couple inches
Twist barrel 90 degrees and pull gently out of receiver

I take great care when twisting and reassembling to not hit the threads and make sure all is lightly lubed for longevity of the fit. Thread directions are normal and the barrel uses interrupted threads so it is only a quick twist and pull.

I found my tube to be in tight from the factory and do not force it tight on reassembly. Be careful to not drop the tube on the internal threads they can burr a bit, you know where that advice comes from.

When reassembled my little lever on the tube is not quite lined up to the barrel as I only snug things up to a sensible hand tight and not as tight as the factory did. A gentle twist with a padded pliers does line it up but I use the TD feature and see no need to have it line up perfectly. Therefore mine is always a tool free job and everything is snug but not torqued too much. Time will have the few degrees involved worked out with wear.

I really like my rifle, even the tang safety (not the blasted rebound hammer) and wish every gun I owned was a Take Down now. Rifle goes in my suitcase when travelling my oilfield sales territory. Nothing screams "steal me" like a rifle case or camera case in a Jeep.

Edit: Just realized the OP may not have been asking about the take down feature but a strip and clean!!!

Last edited on Thu Feb 7th, 2013 05:33 pm by Canuck Bob

Current time is 04:11 pm  
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Guns & Shooting > Lever Guns > Take down of a jap Winchester; looking for instructions. Top

Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems