Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: Veral Smith
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
liquid carnauba wax  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2013 04:01 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
delmarskid1
CBA Member

Mothers makes a liquid carnauba wax for car finishes. I've heard that rooster has dropped it's liquid bullet lube. I'm wondering if this would make a nice substitute. It looks like it goes for about nine bucks a pint. I wasn't able to find if it was petroleum based or not. I'll bet that it is but who know?

Last edited on Thu Feb 28th, 2013 03:17 am by delmarskid1

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2013 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
delmarskid1
CBA Member

Sorry about the el grande picture. It won't happen again. Sheeesh!

Posted: Wed Feb 27th, 2013 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
nimrod
CBA Member

I'm pretty sure that carnauba wax comes from a palm tree.

RB

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2013 12:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
.22-10-45
CBA Member

Check out Randy Rat over on castboolit vendor site. I bought some pure carnauba wax from him. I guess I am not brave enough to just start addding unknown components into a bullet lube without knowing what the stuff will do under heat and pressure (corrosion/erosion?)

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2013 01:27 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
onondaga

delmarskid1:

Are you planning to try making a liquid for tumble lube the way LLA or 45:45:10 is used? or, Are you planning to make a Pressure Lube for use in a lubrisizer?

In either case I'd bet the % of carnuba wax in the product you show is much less carnuba than is in Johnson's Paste Wax or even a High quality shoe paste wax like Exquire Neutral Shoe polish paste wax

Your product is pricey too, I just got JPW at Value Hardware $6/lb. Your liquid stuff is very likely much lower in carnuba just because it is a liquid and not a viscus paste.
I stopped pressure lubing decades ago and currently use the newly available commercial 45:45:10 from White Label Lube online at $15/quart:
http://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=31

They have a whole lot of other great bullet lube products, carnuba stuff too, at really hard to beat prices!

Gary

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2013 03:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
delmarskid1
CBA Member

I was thinking of using it as a tumble lube. The white label tumble lube comes at a very good price. I like the idea of picking the stuff up at the store.

Posted: Thu Feb 28th, 2013 04:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
onondaga

delmarskid1:

I've been completely happy with WhiteLabel's 45:45:10 and have already use it on thousands of bullets. I had previously mixed and cooked my own 45:45:10 Recluse  more than a few times and the commercial stuff is true to formula, It has a consistency of Hershey Syrup but the same color as my home mixed stuff.

I do warm my bullets and the lube before tumbling but that is not necessary unless you are loading them in 15 minutes..which I do and it is completely dry and non tacky in 15 minutes with the warming.

Gary

Posted: Fri Mar 1st, 2013 05:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
linoww
CBA Match Director

A fellow here sent me Planet Waves brand wood instrument wood finish "step 2" liquid carnauba wax about three years ago.it works very well when use like the Lee Product.it has petrolium distilaltes and woks well with Pyrodex and Triple Seven with conicals but gummed badly with real BP.With GC 22 and 30 it shot groups as small as any other lube i tried .I also use it in 32 ACP and 30 Mauser plainbase bullets.it dries quickly and has a slightly yellowish waxy look to it but isn't messy to handle.

http://www.bassstringsonline.com/Planet-Waves-Step-2-PROTECT--Liquid-Carnauba-Wax-Protectant-and-Sealer_p_740.html

George

Last edited on Fri Mar 1st, 2013 05:47 am by linoww

Posted: Sun Jun 2nd, 2013 04:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Trap4570

I've used surf board wax - it's supposed to be canuba and it does work well. Not sure what brand to suggest since the ski shop here only carries it in the 1 lb bar and it has no brand name.

Current time is 06:45 pm  
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Bullet Casting > Bullet Lube > liquid carnauba wax Top

Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems