Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Moderated by: cba_admin
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
INTERNATIONAL POWDER  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: Mon May 13th, 2013 06:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
labccb

HAS ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY PISTOL LOADS FOR HOGDEN INTERNATIONAL POWDER????

IT WOULD SEEM TO ME THAT ITS LISTING ON THE BURN RATE CHART IT SHOULD BE A GOOD PISTOL POWDER.....

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: Mon May 13th, 2013 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
GBertolet
CBA Member

If you are refering to International Clays, I have been using it in my .40 for quite a few years with good success. Hodgdon does not give any reloading data, nor support for any use in,  other than shotguns with this powder. The gunsmith who built my 1911 for IPSC, in .40 cal, gave me his own personal data for this powder. I have used it with 180 gr and 200 gr bullets in both jacketed and cast. I also use it in 20 ga shotshells, so it does double duty.

Posted: Mon May 13th, 2013 10:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
labccb

WHAT GRAINS OF POWDER DO YOU USE???

Posted: Tue May 14th, 2013 02:40 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
GBertolet
CBA Member

You didn't mention what caliber and bullet weight you are searching for data on. Other than the 40 cal, I have no info. The only reason I had used International Clays in the 40, was the gunsmith who built the pistol, suggested I try it, and gave me some, along with his load suggestion. He obviously experimented himself to arrive at his data for the 40 cal, as he gave me the exact charge I needed to make IPSC major, and it worked fine for me. There are so many other good powders out there with proven load data, so why use this one, unless you have a quanity of International Clays on hand. I would suggest you look for a different powder to use. There is a reason Hodgdon does not list this powder for handgun reloading, but I don't know what it is. I am going to try to contact them and find out why. If I can get an answer I will post their reply.

I talked to Hodgdon today about International Clays in handguns. The official response I got was, this powder is a poor powder for handguns, because the chemistry make up is unsuitable for handgun use.

Last edited on Tue May 14th, 2013 08:08 pm by GBertolet

Posted: Tue May 14th, 2013 09:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Pigslayer
CBA Member

Along that line . . . Universal Clays may be what you want.

Posted: Sat Jun 8th, 2013 08:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
noylj

No, International is quite likely exactly what he is talking about.
International falls in the burn rate of 231/HP38, Zip, 700X, Green Dot, N330, PB, and AA5. Quite a nice place to be for a pistol powder--except there is no data from any official source.
Sort of like Steel being in the same burn rate as Blue Dot, AA9, Enforcer, and Longshot.
Or 410 being in the burn rate of 2400, Lil'Gun and 296/H110.
Interesting locations on a burn rate chart when other powders are not available and they are.

Posted: Thu Aug 8th, 2013 10:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
noylj

labccb: Stop shouting. We can read you easily without ALL CAPS.
There are LOTS of "shotgun only" powders (like, all of them) that should be great for handguns, but the manufacturers don't want to spend the money testing them--too many powders means too expensive to test them all.
Sometimes, you can contact the manufacturer and they'll have some data.

Current time is 11:50 am  
The Cast Bullet Association Inc. Forum > Reloading > Powder > INTERNATIONAL POWDER Top

Please visit our sponsors below and help keep this site online!

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2013 Data 1 Systems