Ideal Armory Mould

• Last Post 28 January 2017
Knapper posted this 19 January 2016

Hello everyone.  I was lucky enough to come across a Ideal 7 cavity Armory Mould, less handles.  It is bullet number 358250 it is a 156 grain round nose plain base.  Not sure if I am going to keep it or put it up for sale.  Anyone out there have an idea what these are worth?  I have seen one with handles and in not so great shape for sale.  They are asking 325ish for it. The one I have is in excellent shape all the cavities are clean.  I haven't had a chance to snap any pictures yet but hopefully today.  Any feedback would be great.  Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
frugal posted this 28 January 2017

These must be pretty rare since I have only seen a few over the years.  I just picked up a 6 cavity 452423 with handles last week. Somewhere I read that if you want to cast with these you are supposed to put a c-clamp across the middle while casting to prevent warping.  Most likely to get these to temperature you would have to preheat on a hotplate.  I can see why someone might need a 38 special or 45 acp mould to produce massive quantities of bullets, but was a bit surprised to find the 452423 designed for the 45 auto rim or 45 colt. A true beast of a mould for sure.

Attached Files

I forgot to add it was found in that condition and there was no cleaning done on that mould.

Attached Files

There are 1/2 x 13 threads in the mould and I threaded rods into them in order to test cast. I did a quick casting session all the bullets were .3595 to .360 in #2. I didn't have time to let it get to full temp. and the sprue plate needs to be adjusted a bit but other than that the bullets look good and are not out of round.

There is a backstory to this mould.......I know the origins and I know it is authentic.

Attached Files

358156hp posted this 19 January 2016

Without its unique, original handles, I personally wouldn't consider paying even half that much. It's nice and clean, it must have spent a fair amount of time cleaning it to have so completely removed all traces of the finish. Did yours originally have detachable handles? I don't see mounting points in your pic.

Attached Files

Here is a picture of the cavities 

Attached Files

Close