Collath Single Shot 6.5x52R

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 23 July 2010
6pt-sika posted this 12 July 2010

Same time I got the Kettner drilling we also acquired a rather intresting little Collath single shot rifle in 6.5x52R which turns out to be nothing more then the 25-35 WIN !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
6pt-sika posted this 23 July 2010

I shot this little rifle with the old Remington factory ammo at 100 yards wednesday morning .

At 100 yards it shoots about 2 inches high and with the first shot it was a bit to the left . So I changed the right to left and shot a 3 shot group quickly and they were easily inside 2 inches . Not to bad when all the variables are considered :cool:

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 July 2010

These 3 guns I recently acquired are nothing compared to the shotgun a good customer had shipped in last friday !

It was also a first for me when I was allowed to shoulder this gun !

I've got 5 or 6 english shotguns from some of the lesser makers like Greener , W.C> Scott and Westley Richards .

Friday I got to fondle a very very nice Purdy 12 gaguge hammer gun that had fluid steel barrels and was used to win the 1906 World Live Pigeon Championship .

I've had a couple Krieghoff Supewr Crown Grade 4 barrel sets in my hands before andf a couple Fabrri's . But this Purdy was without a doubt the most EXPENSIVE gun I've ever had in my hands that didn't have extra barrels or tube sets or some such other stuff ! Only thing with this gun was a leather and oak makers case and the new owner said the gun carried a cash price tag of 45 G's .

That may well be the most expensive usable gun I will ever have in my hands :dude:

Attached Files

The gentleman I got these from said his father in law NEVER fired them !

He had his driver get him several nice pieces to bring back as souvineers . This General was not what I would call a gun person as the son in law told me he didn't think they had been opened since 1946 except possibly for cleaning and oiling from time to time !

The bore of this little rifle is excellent and the born of the Aydt is like NEW . The drilling leaves a bit to desire but one cannot have everything .

I think the drilling was used a good bit and this little rifle some , but the schuetzen may very well have been close to new when the war broke out . I removed the forend and the wood has none of the soaked in oil as a well used target gun or hunting gun would have had .

Anyway these are just my opinions on the three guns .

Attached Files

raytear wrote: 6Pt,

That is another absolutely beautiful piece of work! Does it have a striker with a safety or is that a rounded ear of a hammer sticking up behind the standing breech?

I can read the word “Frankfurt", but not the 2 characters following.

Is that, by chance, a single set trigger, or just a screw for adjusting sear engagement of a standard trigger?

Geez, man, the descriptive things you omit that us lesser mortals cannot figure out since :dude: YOU have possession of that gorgeous little rifle and WE don't.

Between your scheutzen and this little gem, I have about ruined my keyboard by drooling on it.

Enviously, RT

The thing that looks like a safety is in actuality a “decocker” or atleast thats what we've surmised it to be !

And yes it does have a single set trigger . And the screw is for adjustment as well .

Beside “Frankfurt” it has the letters “A.O.” !

The barrel says “W. Collath Sohns Frankfurt A.O.” the boss on the barrel has , “c 6.5x52 - 15gr 1550” .The same thing I wrote above that was inscribed on the barrel is on the other side of the barrel as well and on the other side of the action .

This little rifle , the Aydt and the Kettner drilling all came from the same source and were war souveniers of a General after WWII . And the General happened to be the father in law of the gentleman I purchased these from .

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 19 July 2010

Beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Attached Files

raytear posted this 19 July 2010

6Pt,

That is another absolutely beautiful piece of work! Does it have a striker with a safety or is that a rounded ear of a hammer sticking up behind the standing breech?

I can read the word “Frankfurt", but not the 2 characters following.

Is that, by chance, a single set trigger, or just a screw for adjusting sear engagement of a standard trigger?

Geez, man, the descriptive things you omit that us lesser mortals cannot figure out since :dude: YOU have possession of that gorgeous little rifle and WE don't.

Between your scheutzen and this little gem, I have about ruined my keyboard by drooling on it.

Enviously, RT

Attached Files

Thanks !

I'm pretty sure I couldn't pay the price for a new one ;)

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 18 July 2010

A beautiful gun. Can you imagine what it would cost to produce one these days?

Attached Files

I shot this little rifle with some factory Remington 25-35 ammo that was purchased new in 1962 !

The first 3 shots at 50 yards from the little rifle with this ammo went ina  ragged hole !

Attached Files

Attached Files

Close