New bullet mold

• 1.6K Views
  • Last Post 03 June 2012
Pigslayer posted this 19 May 2012

I recieved my new mold from Mountain Molds. They did a nice job & it casts a good looking bullet. Now to see how it shoots. I'm getting ready to load a few & head to the range tomorrow. If it doesen't shoot well it will be my fault because i designed it . . . period. I've been shooting cast pistol bullets for about fourty years with great success but rifle bullets . . . well, that's a horse of a different color & new to me. I am in hopes this new projectile will work out. If it does not then I will order from LBT as suggested to me by a CBA member. Don't get me wrong, I discredit NO mold manufacturer! It's just that in hindsight it's best to send a chamber cast to the manufacturer along with bore & land diameter. A soft lead slug driven against a lead filled case works well. Nuff said. Off to the loading bench!!

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Pigslayer posted this 03 June 2012

I probably won't be keeping the Mountain Mold. Although it shoots well, it doesen't feed properly due to the very short nose. The Mosin needs a long nose to feed properly. As I said, it shoots well but may be better suited for a different rifle that utilizes a shorter nose. The Accurate 200gr. bore rider is shooting very well after sizing to .315 & that's the one I'll be using. If anyone is interested in the Mountain mold, give me a yell.

Pat

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 03 June 2012

Pigslayer wrote: 1kshooter wrote: how are you making out with the .315 bullets? would your as cast dia work for you? I have heard alot of people getting real good results using .3 over groove dia....just a thought Jonathan Actually I just finished lubing & sizing about twenty of them a few minutes ago. I'm getting ready to load them up. I'm hoping to go to the range tomorrow.

Pat

Success!!! Well, after some scope adjustments, here are the results. I actually loaded up two different bullets. The first being an Accurate Mold in a 200 gr. GC Bore Rider & the second being a 165 gr. RNGC. Alloy is Lyman #2. I was having trouble with both after shooting a half a dozen rounds. Shots going all over the target. Very frustrating! I was, at that time sizing to .314 with my actual groove diameter being .313 & my land diameter being .302. With both bullets I seated to a depth that allowed my bolt to just barely close freely and not mark the bullet. It took a lot of trys. I measured & recorded the final O.A.L. of each. As I had mentioned before, I opened my Lee sizing die up from .314 to 315. I used Hornaday .30 cal. checks as I like the little ridge on the inside of the check that bites into the bullet when crimped. I also used my homemade lube. (1 1/2 to 1 Beeswax, Vaseline with 5% of both carnuba flakes & Ivory soap. It was my first attempt at making lube and I am proud of the results! I got no leading and no smoke . . . a real change frome the Lee Liquid Alox!! My powder charge for both is 23grs. #5744 powder & CCI Lge. rifle primer. Here are the results:

Attached Files

CB posted this 27 May 2012

Let us know what load you used and how it went, I have a couple of those rifles I need to play with..

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 26 May 2012

exelent I will check in to see your results and I wish you luck!!!

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 26 May 2012

1kshooter wrote: how are you making out with the .315 bullets? would your as cast dia work for you? I have heard alot of people getting real good results using .3 over groove dia....just a thought Jonathan Actually I just finished lubing & sizing about twenty of them a few minutes ago. I'm getting ready to load them up. I'm hoping to go to the range tomorrow.

Pat

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 26 May 2012

how are you making out with the .315 bullets? would your as cast dia work for you? I have heard alot of people getting real good results using .3 over groove dia....just a thought Jonathan

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 23 May 2012

1kshooter wrote: I hope that the .315 gives you what you want...what rifle is it for and what does your as cast dia come out to before sizing? I ask as I am wanting to start casting for my .303 Brit Parker Hale that my Dad gave to me as I think it would be a lot of fun to add that gun to the list of (I cast for) guns. Jonathan It's for a 7.62x54R. Groove dia. is .313 & the as cast bullet dia. is .316.

Attached Files

1kshooter posted this 23 May 2012

I hope that the .315 gives you what you want...what rifle is it for and what does your as cast dia come out to before sizing? I ask as I am wanting to start casting for my .303 Brit Parker Hale that my Dad gave to me as I think it would be a lot of fun to add that gun to the list of (I cast for) guns. Jonathan

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 22 May 2012

Just finished opening up my Lee .314 push through to .315. I used a 1/4” steel rod with a piece of 320 grit emery paper taped to it. I took a chance & used a electric drill as the hand drill seemed to be taking forever. I kept oil on the emery & finally got it to exactly .315!!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 May 2012

Buffalo Arms will sell or make you a .315” sizing die . I've gotten three dies from them for my 4500's . Got the last one two years ago and it seems to me it was $40-45 plus shipping . They may have it in stock and if not I think they 2 weeks if they have to make one .

http://www.buffaloarms.com>www.buffaloarms.com

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 20 May 2012

Just got back from the range & had moderate success. The bullet I am shooting is a 165gr GC. I used 23grs. 5744 w/CCI Lge. Rifle primer. At 25 yrds it was on the bull giving me a 1” 3-shot group. At 50 yrds it gave me a 2” 3-shot group. After that the groups seemed to open up more. I seem to be getting some leading . . . not a lot, but some. My groove is .313 & am sizing to .314. I wanted to go to .315 but no one makes that size. So, I'm going to open up the .314 Lee push through to .315. I'm sure that it will make a difference. If that helps I will have my Lyman .314 sizing die modified as I like using my Lyman sizers better than the Lee . . . just my preference as they both work well. I was though, rather tickled in that my first shot hit the Bull at 25 yrds followed by two more that gave me a 1” group. It was a good morning.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 19 May 2012

6pt-sika wrote: Pigslayer you're about 2 hours drive from me !

If you ever get a day with nothing to do and wanna just shoot cast bullets send me a message and drive on down !

I'd be more then happy to take you to our club and shoot the entire day !

Matter of fact you tell me anything I have that you'd like to try and I'll make it available for you . My friend, that is a gracious offer and I will look for the time & opportunity to take you up on it.

Pat Reynolds

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 May 2012

Pigslayer you're about 2 hours drive from me !

If you ever get a day with nothing to do and wanna just shoot cast bullets send me a message and drive on down !

I'd be more then happy to take you to our club and shoot the entire day !

Matter of fact you tell me anything I have that you'd like to try and I'll make it available for you .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 19 May 2012

FWIW , I've gotten three molds from Mountain Molds !

A 433-375GC , a 433-400GC and a 432-325GC with a RD nose . And they've all shot well in my variouse 444's and the 325 grainer did okay in a Marlin 44 MAG out to 100 yards (although it was just starting to yaw alittle bit) .

But bottom line with the MM molds I have , they all came as I ordered them in really quick amount of time . The first two were in my hands 7 days after I placed the order . The 325 grainer took about 12 days .

They also shot very nicely in the rifles I got them for and several others of similar caliber .

Matter of fact the MM 433-375GC was used to kill the first bear I ever fired a shot at in my life !

Attached Files

Close